Re: NON IRQ DEADLOCK in 2.0.31

Rob Hagopian (hagopiar@vuser.vu.union.edu)
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 01:47:20 -0500 (EST)

I've actually had some problems with the software watchdog:
A user has a 150MB email, tries to open it in pine, pine goes hogwild
with memory (swap), the computer slows to a crawl, the watchdog process
doesn't get spawned fast enough, the computer resets.
What do you do when your session is interrupted? You try it again. This
went on for 3-4 reboots (not a fun task) before I tracked it down. Yes, I
know, process limits... still, a slow machine is much better than a dead
machine.
I seem to recall DEADLOCKS halt both processors or some such thing
(while(1)?), if panic is set, why not just jump to reset?
-Rob H.