Re: knfsd and system crashes

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 07:42:41 -0500

Alan Cox wrote:

> > permanent representation of a file, following a server crash the old
> > client filehandles could still be looked up, but more slowly.
>
> Since you have the parent inode, surely we can use that and a faked /proc
> path of
>
> /proc/dev/08:13/parent-inode/filename
>
> in such cases

The problem isn't that we can't get a new dentry for the
parent-inode/inode; after doing a search we have a dentry. But the
client will continue to talk to the server using the original handle,
which has the original long-expired (or reused) dentry. There's no
provision to tell a client, "here, use this filehandle now".

Possibly I can find a way to cache the secondary lookup info by (parent
inode, inode) to avoid repeating the full search ...

Regards,
Bill