Re: Another Linux performance anomaly with 1+ GB files

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 14:20:42 -0500

Scott Laird wrote:

> The pause also occurs when simply copying the same file from a 4k
> filesystem to a 1k filesystem. I didn't try copying in the other
> direction.

Hi Scott,

I'd hazard a guess that your problem is related to the different buffer
size for the filesystem. Devices with buffer sizes different than the
normal 1K will often have to allocate new buffers in refill_freelist, as
they can't user the other sizes. In addition, since 4K buffers have
only 1 buffer per page, it's much easier for the system to steal back
the memory. If the 1 buffer on the page isn't in use at the time, the
system can reclaim it. These factors when coupled with high memory
demand could keep a task stuck in refill_freelist for a long time.

Do the slowdowns occur when you're working with a normal 1K filesystem?

Regards,
Bill