Re: Cyrix patch : Proposal?

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:58:14 +0000 (GMT/BST)

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> I'll second the motion for making VSPM experimental. I've been using it
> for about a year without any problems whatever. Leave it in, but turned
> off by default and accompanied by a brief, clear warning in the "help"
> documentation.

The only problem with using VSPM is that on most of the 6x86 series
there is no way to disable it so you have to do a cold boot before
running an OS which uses a different memory mapping to Linux.

VSPM should be an option, certainly. But it's hardly experimental
anymore and we even know future 6x86 series processors won't break it.

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |