Re: Pentium DEATH and Cyrix COMA in user-mode

Jason Burrell (jburrell@crl.com)
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 14:01:42 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Andre Derrick Balsa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jason Burrell wrote:
> > I did that last night when a friend using BSD couldn't get Alan's code to
> > compile. This following code just loops indefinately on my P133 with a
> > stepping of 12 regardless of what user executes it.
>
> WRONG!!! The code below is the example *I* posted to the linux-kernel
> list to test the Cyrix bug. In case you wondered, the four hex codes in
> array c are the letters "Cyri".

[snip]

> At least it was copied correctly... Next time please name the source.

I did. Well, I named where I got it from, anyway. Where the second-hand
poster, in this case Alan, got it from I have little way to know. I
assumed it was his and didn't check the URL given. See below.

[snip]

> That's a genuine Intel Pentium with the genuine F0 bug. Try again with
> the code posted by Richard B. Johnson.

Actually, the original poster asked if your code nailed a Pentium given
some of the other bugs the P5 has. I tried it, and it didn't. The "F00F"
code kills my processor as advertised.

Here's the original posting to BUGTRAQ: