Re: Filesize limitation

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
11 Nov 1997 11:42:52 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.9711082341.aa03008@gennip.vangennip.nl>,
Chel van Gennip <linux@vangennip.nl> wrote:
>As Martin von Loewis <martin@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote me,
>it is better to conform to emerging standards for Large Files.
>
>see http://www.sas.com/standards/large.file/index.html
>for more info.
>
>For existing interfaces accessing files >2GB should result
>in EOVERFLOW errors.

I disagree. The only place where you should get EEOVERFLOW is when
you're trying to do an operation that won't fit into 31 bits of
scalar; If I'm navigating through a 6gb file with read, write, and
seek(..,..,SEEK_CUR), the only indication I should have that it's a
big file is lseek() throwing EEOVERFLOW (but continuing to work.)

____
david parsons \bi/ small file ghettos are not a good idea.
\/