Re: Whee.. inode changed from under us. Tell Linus

Nathan Bryant (nathan@nbryan71.dorm.usm.maine.edu)
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 00:01:58 -0500 (EST)

I wrote:

> I had to bang on the system pretty hard to do it, but I just managed to
> trigger the same message. Same setup as above sans 3000 fd's and 3c509.
>
> What triggered it: running several concurrent looping find /'s while
> repeatedly copying /usr to /usr2 and deleting /usr2... and just for the
> heck of it, rm -rf'ing /usr2 while it's being copied to... anyone got
> other ideas on stressing the inode code?

Okay, that's a lousy way of triggering it. Try this (you'll like it, I
promise):

while true; do (touch test &); (cp test test2 &); (rm test &); done

And you'll be rewarded with a bunch of these:

Whee.. inode changed from under us. Tell Linus
EXT2-fs warning (device 08:01): ext2_free_inode: bit already cleared for
inode 944193

nbryan71@mail.caps.maine.edu