RE: Pentium bug

Jerald Sheets (jsheets@explore-br.com)
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 08:16:57 -0600

Hello!

I'm kind of new to the list & have a question. I signed up for this list
because I am having a little trouble installing/configuring a new kernel.
Is this the appropriate list for the following question. If it is, please
reply. If not, please reply privately, and I'll go to a different list.
(please let me know which one)

I have installed Linux 2.0.0. After installing, I read in my quakeworld
documentation that I need kernel 2.0.29 or later. I followed the HOWTO and
got through the make dep, make clean, make config, then make image. Now
what do I do? I've been using linux for about three weeks & am considering
it as a Microsquish alternative so please be gentle :) I tried copying
the new kernel to /, renaming the old one & renaming zImage to vmlinuz, but
it isn't working. I have lilo installed only booting linux currently, and
am wondering if lilo needs some different information? Every time I boot
right now, Linux still reports 2.0.0. Any help would be appreciated.

Jerald Sheets
Systems Administrator,
Explore Baton Rouge

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Wiggins [SMTP:madman@zip.com.au]
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 1997 8:03 PM
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Cc: compsoc.unix@zipper.zip.com.au
Subject: Pentium bug

Hey ppl i have two systems effected by this bug, but it occured to
me that since both are dual's (one has yet to get its 2nd cpu) only one
cpu can be effected at once.
First question, is it possible for the 2nd cpu to detect the other
has been shutdown?
Second question can someone write a patch to detect and handle
this? Maybe setting some kernel flag or something so a system program can
take mesures like ejecting all users and logging the event?
Hows this sound? I'd be interested in feedback on this issue

Cheers Adam