Re: Pentium DEATH and Cyrix COMA in user-mode

Andrew Kieschnick (andrewk@mail.utexas.edu)
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 03:39:05 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Alan Cox wrote:

> > The pentium bug is caused by the chip executing an invalid opcode - its
> > really a very different bug from the cyrix bug.... I doubt
> > enabling/disabling anything is going to help with the pentium bug.
>
> They are very similar it appears. One is "lock cmpxchg8" which causes a double
> lock cycle on the bus (I believe its to the bus), the other is a dual issue
> of an implicitly locked operation (again dual lock).

Hmm. Indeed, thats pretty similar... hadn't thought about that.

I still say that they're also significantly different in that the pentium
is executing what should be an invalid instruction, and the cyrix is
executing valid instructions stupidly.

later,
Andrew Kieschnick