Re: Pentium DEATH in user-mode

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 00:51:43 +0100 (MET)

linux kernel account wrote:
> Alan seems to think that rebooting brain dead cpus in SMP mode is
> possible.. If such a trick would occure little overhead (I dont see how it
> would be much at all for the 'normal case') then we should have it.. It
> would be cool to rub that in a NT users face.. :)

I'd say, "No use". If you have someone executing those 4 or 5 bytes,
you have someone who wants to crash your system. In that case crashing
both CPUS almost simultaneously (before one detects the other is gone)
is not that hard. So you're not fixing anything.

The feature that a "dead" cpu is replaced by rebooting it might be
useful, but not in this case.

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a