Re: pentium bug continued [slightly offtopic]

Sun, 9 Nov 1997 23:16:38 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, Stephan Meyer wrote:

> I have something very strange to report.
>
> I successfully crashed my box under linux with f00fc7c8.
> I successfully crashed my box under win95 with f00fc7c8.
> Both hard-froze, no mouse movement, no keyboard LEDs... etc.
>
> The machine did not hard-freeze under DOS!!!! Though the debug program
> locked, I was able to (a) toggle the keyboard LEDs with my keyboard and
> (b) reboot the machine by pressing ctrl-alt-del.
>
> This is very strange when compared to the opinions that have been
[SNIPPED]
DOS runs in "real" mode. It defaults to 16-byte versions of instructions.
You might try prepending the 32-byte instruction prefix to the instruction
stream. Whether or not it crashes makes no difference. It's a single-user
machine when running DOS. Users are allowed to crash their own machines.
Under debug g=ffff:0 will do it every time.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Richard B. Johnson
Project Engineer
Analogic Corporation
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.60 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).