Re: pentium bug continued [slightly offtopic]

linux kernel account (linker@nightshade.z.ml.org)
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 20:37:52 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Adam Wiggins wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, Alistair Riddell wrote:
>
> > I think such things as the keyboard LEDs and Ctrl+Alt+Del are handled by
> > the BIOS/keyboard controller hardware unless the OS takes control of them.
> >
> Its not a bois/OS thing, the cpu is shut down so it cant execute
> OS or bios code. What might be happening here is that the cpu never got
> put into protected mode like it does in win95 and linux and just remainned
> in 8086 mode as all intel cpu's do when they first boot. It might get
> effected differently in this mode?
> Cheers Adam

I wasn't saying it was an OS thing.. I was trying to say "It might be how
the bios had the keyboard controler configured".. In more advanced OSes
the scan codes are processed by the os, not the keyboard controler..

You're right, It COULD be the difference between protected and real mode..

Load emm386 with expanded mem and see if it is the same (emm386 puts the
cpu into protected mode).