Re: Stops Pentiums dead (and how does Cyrix perform?)

Sat, 8 Nov 1997 22:48:01 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, linux kernel account wrote:

> The guy running x86.org doesnt want anything to do with this bug... I've
> already emaild him.. and it's "for personal reasons".. So please dont
> flood him..

[SNIPPED]

I'm talking to x86.org. They are advocates and are providing technical
assistance. Don't bug them. They know about the problem.

We may be able to set Pentiums to trap on the lock prefix when in
user-mode. User mode code doesn't (shouldn't) use this instruction.
This should fix the problem. I have already grepped through the latest
gcc c-library and none of that code seems to require the lock prefix.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Richard B. Johnson
Project Engineer
Analogic Corporation
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.60 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).