Re: Reboot on Startup (2.0 and 2.1)

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 15:24:00 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Joe Pranevich wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently bought a new computer, a K6-233, really nice. Unfortunately,
> somewhere in the kernel startup phase, it reboots. So far as I know, it
> never makes it into user space. Unfortunately, the messages go by so
> fast that I am not able to read them.

AHA! Someone else with the same problem we have on two new PC's. The
processor seems irrelevant (one P-MMX and one K6). Like you, however, the
motherboard in question is a Tx. Not sure if it's the same chipset and/or
brand, will have to check.

The last thing we see is "Started kswapd.. etc. etc"

If any kernel guru wants to send some patched kernel to see exactly where
the machines die, I'm more than happy to assist.

In the meantime, I'm swapping the Tx for a Vx...

Cheers
Chris