Re: Shrinking kernel

B. James Phillippe (bryan@Terran.ORG)
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 13:05:13 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Horst von Brand wrote:

> "B. James Phillippe" <bryan@Terran.ORG> said:
> > I'm faced with the task of reducing the size of a
> > minimally-configured linux-2.0 kernel. [...]
>
> Use the ROMFS for a filesystem (should be good for some 20Kb above the
> alternatives). Pull the virtual console support out (or use just one
> VT).

The VT stuff is good advice. I don't think we'll need support for more
than one console.

> Check what you are running in userland; perhaps change to a leaner shell
> (like ash) or just launch a statically compiled program as init that does

This is a good point, but I think we're there already. The system boots
our own init and there is not much userland (no shells, no login, no
interactivity at all). In fact, there's no keyboard or monitor. The main
size constraint isn't as much memory as it is floppy-disk space. I'm more
concerned with the physical size of the zImage than it's memory footprint.

Thanks for the advice,
-bp

--
B. James Phillippe <bryan@Terran.ORG>
UNIX, Linux, networks, C, Perl, Java, etc.