Re: Linux + Win95 simultaneously

Harald Milz (hm@seneca.muc.de)
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 14:30:00 +0100

Chris Pirih (proverbs@wolfenet.com) wrote:

> I have five PCs in my house: three running Linux, one NT
> and one Win95. It's certainly easier (and probably cheaper,

This is nice at home where YOU control the expenses. This is not true
at work where your manager controls them.

I for one would really like to see something like stable and reliable W95
emulation since my killer app at work is Lotus Freelance. I can now run
it inside Wabi but the Windows 3.1 Freelance version is just being phased
out in favor of the newer file formats handled by the W95 version. OTOH
I use to work with Linux for all other jobs.

OTOH, running Linux and W95 on 2 CPU's of an SMP machine is a) darn
complicated as of what I can see from the comments posted here (not being
the expert myself) and b) an uncommon solution as long as SMP machines
aren't the standard. I'd prefer a solution which runs on all machines.

The effort needed to get the SMP idea running should better be invested
in WINE, or in a marketing effort to convince Insignia to release a
Linux/Intel version of SoftWindows95 (if they are allowed to... seems M$
forces them to not release _any_ SoftWindows95 version for any Intel
platform. Can someone shed some light on this?).