Re: Linux + Win95 simultaneously

Ken A. Irwin (skorpio@solix.ntcor.com)
Mon, 03 Nov 1997 18:36:26 -0800

At 01:24 PM 11/3/97 -0700, Byron Davies wrote:
>With a dual-processor Pentium, would it be possible in principle to run
>Linux and Win95 simultaneously, one on each processor?
>
>Here's why I thought there might be a chance. For a PCI Mac, you can get a
>PCI card with a Pentium running Windows. Although all I/O devices are
>physically attached to the Mac, the two processors share them, including
>monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drives, diskette drive, CD-ROM, etc. On the
>Windows side, the drivers are modified to invoke Mac functions for I/O via
>PCI. On the Mac side, extensions are provided to listen for Windows I/O
>commands and execute them on the Mac I/O devices.
>
>For the next step, substitute Linux on a (single processor) PCI Pentium for
>the Mac. The same PCI board could be made to work by emulating Windows I/O
>in Linux, instead of in MacOS.
>
>Supposing we have that working, now substitute a dual-processor Pentium for
>the two Pentiums linked by PCI, and substitute the memory bus for the PCI
>bus. Allocate different regions in memory for Windows and for Linux, and
>have the Windows drivers communicate through shared memory rather than
>through PCI.
>
>With suitable support in Linux, could this work?

Ok a rare reply to this list, I don't think this could be posable with any
kind of respectable performance #1, Your going to play hell with 95s plug
and play bullshit with cards #2, the machine would be so crippled in 95
mode (if linux was in control, it would make it almost unusable, so....

My suggestion is to do what I do, and that is to build a nice little 95
box with all the goodies you need (sound cards, graphics cards, video
capture, tv tuner, whatever) and build a nice little linux box (even a
486 runs linux respectably if it doesn't have to run an native x server)
put a 512k rockgut VGA and a shitty monitor on the linux box (if any)
and run Exceed on 95 and samba on the linux box and you basicly have what
you want, one desktop two OSes. I personally run the FVWM 95 task bar sticked
to the top and 95 stuck to the bottom, the fvwm virtual desktop lets you
move the linux windows off the screen when not in use, Every thing runs on
one interface one desktop. Never use CRT or microsoft telnet again. Use it
all the time ,my 95 machine boots, as soon as 95 is up I get a linux login
box,
its just that easy (need to set up exceed to query host.

Samba will let you map all your drives on the linux box to 95 and visa-versa
(compile VFAT support and smbfs win95 bug fix into kernel) The two machines
will
so intertwined its just like one big machine.

Running dual OS machines is always a kludge, as amazing as insignia is for
sun and hp workstations (software intel emulater for those who don't know)
it is too crippled to run anything worth while like Adobe products, video
capture, or audio editing. Lets face it there are some very nice toys for
95 that are a long way off before you'll see them on linux. My personal
belief is that any one that has one machine thats not 95 (no matter how much
I hate microsoft) is making a mistake thats where the apps are, however
any one that has more than one machine and doesn't have a linux box just
doesn't know what they're missing. I have 2 95 boxes (one for me, one for my
wife) and a beast of a linux box at home. I have one 95 box and *two* linux
boxes
in my office at work. In both places 95 has the best video, and audio products
on it and linux is the grunt, all the modems jaz drives CD changers, tape
drives
etc are on linux, 95 is just an X-terminal that runs nifty apps. Linux does
all
the work.

Anyway I've rambled enough...

| Welcome To New Hampshire | Skorpio