Re: Shocking News from Apple.

Adam Wiggins (madman@zip.com.au)
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 17:06:38 +1100 (EST)

On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Cort Dougan wrote:

> http://www.macosrumors.com/rhapinfo.shtml claims that rhapsody is bsd 4.4
> based. bsd 4.4 mach sounds a bit weird to me and I think the page has
> some facts wrong.
>
> It seems that the apple micro-kernel would be more closely based on the
> mklinux mach kernel or perhaps the microkernel used for nextstep. Neither
> of which show the performance of L4 so rhapsody not performing as well is
> not surprising.

The comparisions i had where for mklinux/linux/L4 linux and the
mklinux was using the mach 3 that rhapsody uses. mklinux benchmarks where
poor. L4 was a bit better then the normal linux, I can track down the url
if you want. It was on L4's site.

> Do you or anyone you know of have some real performance numbers for
> Rhapsody? I'm itching to compare them with linux/ppc. A lmbench
> comparison would be wonderful.

I have a friend with a power pc mac clone who's used mklinux and
is getting rhapsody. Ill ask him if he can supply any benchmarks.

Cheers Adam