Re: smbfs performance of 2.1.61 versus 2.0.31

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Sat, 01 Nov 1997 18:26:19 -0500

Marty Leisner wrote:

> smbfs seems to took a packet/file to do an ls in 2.1.61
> (its doing a getatr for every file).
>
> In 2.0.31, it does a TRANS2_FINDFIRST, and gets all this information
> in a single smb.

Present smbfs uses the dentry layer for caching inode information,
rather than caching it again in smbfs. If you do an ls without
requesting file info, the reply contains just file names, so it takes
fewer message packets. Operations that use getdents (e.g. make) will
also run faster, as we're not requesting info that can't be used.

The directory code still uses TRANS2_FINDFIRST/FINDNEXT, it just
requests only the minimal info required by a readdir call.

If you have specific preformance benchmarks where you think the current
smbfs isn't working fast enough, I'd be happy to look into it.

Regards,
Bill