Re: Odd swap behavior in 2.1.60

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 14:13:34 -0500

tenthumbs wrote:

> I have a 40MB swap partition which mounts first and then a 110MB swap
> partition which mounts second. If, and so far only if, the system starts
> to swap into the second swap partition, I start to see things like:
>
> Oct 30 00:46:14 perfect kernel: d_alloc: 1825 unused, pruning dcache
> Oct 30 00:46:46 perfect last message repeated 16 times
> Oct 30 00:47:33 perfect last message repeated 4 times
> Oct 30 00:47:39 perfect kernel: d_alloc: 1830 unused, pruning dcache
> Oct 30 00:47:39 perfect kernel: d_alloc: 1825 unused, pruning dcache.

These messages are harmless by themselves, as they just indicate the
number of unused dentries was getting too big. Maybe they're triggered
by whatever caused the swapping?

> When I reboot, I see a *lot* of lines like:
>
> try_to_unuse: didn't find entry %8lx
>
> scroll up the screen, but are not stored in the syslogs. These come
> from mm/swapfile.c.

This one is interesting, as it could indicate that the system is losing
track of which pages are swapped. (Maybe that's why it asked for your
second swapfile?)

I just reposted a patch that may have some bearing on this -- could you
give it a test?

Regards,
Bill