Re: Some issues on dcache while rewriting /proc

Richard Guenther (richard.guenther@student.uni-tuebingen.de)
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 10:04:53 +0200 (MESZ)

To follow up my own post...

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Richard Guenther wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I started to rewrite procfs to use the dcache for dynamic entries
> (i.e. the not on-the-fly generated ones).
> This is done by using the d_revalidate operation to create the inode,
> if necessary. The dcache does the tree/name/lookup management.
> For this implementation I need to
> - add a union to dentry like the inode.u union to hold a pointer
> to the proc_dir_entry (which holds a pointer to the dentry)
> - implement readdir scanning the dentry tree - are there any locking
> issues I have to cope with?
Scanning the dentry 'tree' seems not to be possible - there is no
tree at all, only the hash lists. So now I thought it should be
possible to provide a d_hash function that gives the same hash value
for each file in the _same_ directory. This way we could process
the hash list for this value and could be shure we get all entries.
Does this sound reasonable?
Another problem is how to build the tree without beeing mounted.
I don't know how to adress this for now....

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
PGP: 2E829319 - 2F 83 FC 93 E9 E4 19 E2 93 7A 32 42 45 37 23 57