Re: serial input overrun(s) using ide-cd

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
16 Oct 1997 17:49:56 +0200

In article <623u3m$5lj$1@palladium.transmeta.com>,
H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> wrote:
>Oh, distribution maintainers: at least one widely used Linux
>distribution fscks and mounts all filesystems read-write before
>entering single-user mode. This is *VERY* dangerous and broken
>behaviour -- single-user mode is by definition a recovery mode to be
>entered when something breaks, and assuming all filesystems are
>available and safe to mount read-write is just plain broken. In
>single-user mode, initlevel 1, only / should be mounted, read-only.

You're talking about Debian, I suppose? Yes it does that, but it's
very reasonable IMHO and other Unixes do it too. If you really want
to boot into a mode where you just get a shell, there's always the
`emergency' (or -b, as in SunOS) boot flag that will immediately
give you a shell without doing mounting/fsck'ing first.

This is all documented in the init manual page.

Mike.

--
   Miquel van      | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
   Smoorenburg,    | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/