Question: Boot Problems (Strange)

Saurabh Desai (sdesai@ecs.fullerton.edu)
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 11:21:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 4 Oct 1997, Ryan LeCompte wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Alright..This is the deal. I am trying to install Slackware 3.3. Well, I
> pop in the boot disk, and when it prompts me with LILO: I enter in: mount
> ide2=0xFFF0h and hit enter. Now the reason I use ide2=0xFFF0h is so linux
> can recognize my UltraATA harddrive attached to the Promise IDE Interface
> controller.. Well, after that, recognizes my hard drive as /dev/hde1...And
> that's great. Well, then it asks me to insert the root disk in the
> drive..So, I enter it in..Then, this is the output:
>
> VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER
> [MS-DOS FS. Rel. 12,FAT 0,check=n,conv=b,uid=0,gid=0,umask=022,bmap]
> [me=0x19,cs=0,#f=152,fs=0,fl=0,ds=0,de=46147,data=0,se=1587,ts=16843008,ls=2
> 55]
>
> Transaction block size = 512
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 02:1c

I just had a problem like that. I configured my kernel and compiled it.
but the compiled kernel would not boot giving me a message such as:

VFS: Cannot open root device 03:41
Kernel panic: Unable to mount root fs on 03:41

I recompiled the kernel again and again hoping that it would succeed
but to no avail. Finally I looked at my configuration file. I saw
that during the configuration of the kernel I, by mistake, did not
select the option that mounts the IDE hard disk (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE).
That solved my problem and I could boot the compiled the kernel.
I am not very sure, but from my experience it looks as if
your hard disk does not get configured properly. may be you should try
looking into the mount option that you enter at the boot prompt.
good luck.
regards.
saurabh desai.