Re: ULTRA DMA HDD

linux kernel account (linker@nightshade.ml.org)
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 19:05:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Tim Hawes wrote:

> Some thoughts come to mind:
> DOS can misinterpret the blocks on the Linux partition as bad blocks,
> from what I have heard in the past.

Dos shouldn't see a linux partition at all.

> Your Linux swap partition should not be any larger than 16 MB. You can set
> up two swap partitions for Linux, or more if you feel you will need them.
> I think the limit is 8 swap partitions.

Nope.. The maximum size of a single swap partition is much larger, I
believe 128megs or 256meg (I'd have to check the source.) I'm quite
happily running a single 40meg partition..

> With a 3.4 GB drive, you really should divide your partitions into
> smaller sections. You will want approximately no more than 850 MB per
> partition. For example, you could divide it up as thus:

Yes and no. On a multiuser system, then defenitly YES. On a single user
then prob No.

> 1st 850 MB partition DOS Primary
> 2nd 850 MB partition DOS Primary
> 3rd 16 MB partition Linux Swap
> 4th 16 MB partition Linux Swap
> 5th 850 MB partition Linux Native
> 6th 818 MB partition Linux Native
>
> The idea here is to optimize your disk space. If you have partitions
> larger than 850 MB your disk space can be progressively waisted in the
> upper drive blocks.

Eeek, that is true for dos, but not linux. With dos your cluster sizes
grow with drive space, so bigger == lost space. With linux your block
can still be 1k up till you have about 0.5terrabytes of drivespace...

Multiple partitons are useful under linux to track and control disk usage
(so a user dumping hundreds of megs into tmp will not stop you from
recieving mail, etc..) Most people find it unnessassary on single user
computers..

> Another thing I would check, is to make doubly sure that fdisk in Linux
> agrees with FDISK.EXE in DOS.
>
> Hope this helps.

Dos fdisk is so limited that I can believe it agreeing with anything but
itself.