Re: ULTRA DMA HDD

Jacques Gelinas (jack@solucorp.qc.ca)
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 16:31:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Tim Hawes wrote:

> Your Linux swap partition should not be any larger than 16 MB. You can set
> up two swap partitions for Linux, or more if you feel you will need them.
> I think the limit is 8 swap partitions.

Limit is 128 meg per swap area, not 16.

> With a 3.4 GB drive, you really should divide your partitions into
> smaller sections. You will want approximately no more than 850 MB per
> partition. For example, you could divide it up as thus:
>
> 1st 850 MB partition DOS Primary
> 2nd 850 MB partition DOS Primary
> 3rd 16 MB partition Linux Swap
> 4th 16 MB partition Linux Swap
> 5th 850 MB partition Linux Native
> 6th 818 MB partition Linux Native
>
> The idea here is to optimize your disk space. If you have partitions
> larger than 850 MB your disk space can be progressively waisted in the
> upper drive blocks.

This apply to DOS, not linux. Linux allocated space in 1k increment
whatever the size of the partition (unless told no to do so). Unless there
are special reason to do so on some server (avoiding one partition to fiil
the whole system, or mounting sensitive data read only), you are better
with a large partition. Easier to work with.

Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
Linuxconf: The ultimate administration system for Linux.
see http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf
new developments: mail to fax gateway, disk quota management, RPM for redhat