Re: Bug in caching of mount options

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 12:27:03 -0400

Jim Nance wrote:
> I have found a bug in the kernel, which I believe is related to the
> caching of mount options. It shows up under both 2.0.31-pre10 and
> 2.1.57.
>
> If I mount a filesystem with the noexec option, then I (of cousre)
> cant run any binaries on it. If I remount it with:
>
> mount -o remount,exec /mnt/zip
>
> I can still not run binaries which I tried to run before the remount,
> but I CAN run new binaries which I copy into the file system.

My guess is that the noexec flag is set in the inodes that are still
cached from before the remount. Sounds like we should be doing a full
shrink and invalidate inodes before all remounts. I'll throw together a
patch to try this.

Can anyone think of a reason _not_ to sync and invalidate before a
remount?

Regards,
Bill