Re: Linux (free s/w) support

Chris Rogers (crogers1@stevens-tech.edu)
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 21:35:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Darren Reed wrote:

> If I were a Sun customer, with a support agreement/contract, I could say
> to them "there's this rsh-ioctl problem and I need a fix" and if they don't
> then they've got have a good reason why not. They may even supply me with
> a "test-patch" (which don't get released to the general public). Basically
> they answer to customer demand and posting things to bugtraq is not the same
> as a customer with a problem logging a support call.
>
> If I have a prlbem with Linux, I have no _guarantee_ that anyone will look at
> it, never mind actually solve it. If it's a priority 1 problem for me and

I have worked at a company that is a fairly large sun shop and I have seen
sun take forever to deal with a bug. Or give us random patches and say we
have no idea why this would work, but it is the latest patch so try it and
see if your problem goes away. I have seen it take weeks just to convince
sun that there was a bug. And occasionally you get the, "well solaris 2.6
fixes that so we are not gonna go back and fix it in older software"
unfortunetly "simply" upgrading to the latest and greatest is not an
option.

While it might seems that linux should be less "supported" in reality it
seems to be very much the opposite.

> I receive no support from the Linux camp, how good does it sound to explain
> to management "I posted the problem a week ago, but no response." ? It's
> the guarantee of some sort of support service which management need. ie.
> they can yell at someone else and get a head kicked if nothing happens.
> Who's going to do that for Linux ?

Isn't this what Caldera is trying to do? Basically be the person that you
can call and yell at.

-chris

Christopher Rogers Stevens Institute of Technology
Email:gandalf@pobox.com
HomePage http://stute.jacobus.stevens-tech.edu/~gandalf