Re: Solaris 2.6 and Linux

linux kernel account (linker@nightshade.ml.org)
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 21:08:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Darin Johnson wrote:

> I don't think this would be allowed, under some readings of the GPL.
> After all, since FSF ftp sites are widely known, why the requirement
> that we additionally provide the code via ftp if the customer asks?
> The way the phrasing reads to me, there is no provision for passing
> the customer's request off to someone else.

It says that you can pass it off if you are noncommercial.
Heres what I'de say: "We can provide it for you on CD, but I would highly
recommend you get it from ftp.sunsite.unc.edu or buy a cd from
www.infomagic.com or call redhat a (xxx)-xxx-xxx" This will get rid of
99.9% of the people.. If they still insist you sell them a cd you can
tell them it will cost $200 as this would reflect your expence of buying a
CDR, Media, and paying somone to make the CDs when you will do at the most
a few CDs a year..

OR... Even better (and alot less legaly grey):

Tell 'em it'll be $20, get their name and address, etc.. Call up infomagic
"Yes, I'd like the linux developers resource shipped to.." In this
situation it should make everyone happy.. It doesn't say you can't pay
someone else to do it for you.. In the future, if the GPL isn't changed in
this regard, I can see companies sprouting up for this purpose alone.