Re: OFFTOPIC: glibc 2.0.5 strangeness?

Erik Troan (ewt@redhat.com)
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 10:55:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Richard Henderson wrote:

> I'm guessing that the old libraries are getting pulled in by
> proxy. For example,
>
> old binary -> libc.so.5
> -> new libtermcap -> libc.so.6
>
> X is likely to be a problem here as well.
>
> Now, H.J. and friends working on libc5 and ld.so1.9 have come
> up with ways to get such disparate worlds to co-exist nicely,
> but it seems likely that RH 4.8 has not yet been smoothed out
> in this respect.

This is exactly what's happening. Unfortunately, the hack the libc
folks came up with to allow libc5 and libc6 apps to coexist requires that
every library be built with full dependency information. The tbird
release hasn't yet done this, though it is getting closer. I didn't
realize the extent of this problem until after tbird was available.

Feel free to grab a newer libc-5.3.12 package from ftp.redhat.com
/pub/redhat/devel/i386/RedHat/RPMS. I know that will fix the problem
with libtermcap, the X libraries, and the ncurses libraries. A couple
of problems remain, but those will be cleared up shortly.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled mailing list.

Erik

| "Tarball is idiomatically related to furball and hairball" -- Carl D. Roth |
| |
| Erik Troan = ewt@redhat.com = ewt@sunsite.unc.edu |