Re: File Corruption

Sat, 27 Sep 1997 22:20:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Tim P. Gerla wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 1997 at 04:42:12PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > It seems that it's a hardware flaw, but win95 doesn't present
> > > any problem.
> >
> > Win95 tends not to show up a lot of problems
> >
> Except it's own. :)
>
> (sorry)

Don't be sorry. It's a fact. Win95 and Win-NT are specifically designed
to "never fail". This means that most errors are never reported. This
is why you have to reinstall it several times per year if you have
failing hardware.

Junk hardware plus junk OS makes many happy. Several years ago, PC Week
reported that over 90 percent of the Personal Computers sold are not
used beyond the second month. The usual new owner is cajoled into buying
a personal computer. The new owner becomes exasperated by the second
month, shuts it off and never uses it again. The new owner can still
tell his peers that He/She has a personal computer. Everybody is happy.
Microsoft claims that machine as part of it's "Installed base".

With Linux, when something doesn't work correctly, you are told about
it. Sometimes the problem is related to software, sometimes software
was not able to "fix" hardware, i.e., ignore the first 13 errors when
attempting to perform a remote DMA operation to a gawd-awful network
chip. When a software "fix" has been provided, often it's called a
"bug-fix" when it wasn't a bug at all.

Under Windows just pretend that the operation went as planned.
For example, we have automatic backup operations across our LAN for
unfortunates that use that garbage. It was recently discovered that
machines that were no longer connected to the network, were no longer
being backed up.

The server didn't complain at all. The only way this was discovered was
a review of a log showed that several backups only took a few seconds!

Cheers,
DJ
Richard B. Johnson
Analogic Corporation
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.55 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).
Warning : It's hard to stay on the trailing edge of technology.
Linux : Engineering tool
Spam : sync@localhost, daemon@loghost