Re: Adaptec Fast-Wide & IBM DHFS Drive

Jeff Noxon (jeff@planetfall.com)
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 18:14:17 -0500

On Fri, Sep 26, 1997 at 11:42:33PM -0400, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> All,
>
> I picked up an OEM version of an IBM DFHS S4W drive (aka UltraStar XP);
> built for Apple. It's a fast wide single-ended drive, 7200rpm., 4.1GB
> capacity. A screamer, but it absolutely refuses to work if tagged
> queueing is enabled in the driver.

[snip]

FWIW, a possible data point:

430FX mobo, P120
Adaptec 3940W (Twin wide)
2.0.31-pre9

Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: IBMRISC Model: DFHSS2W Rev: 4242
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: IBMRISC Model: DFHSS2W Rev: 4242

This is the 2.1 gig variety of the drive you mention. Write caching
is enabled on both of them. Other SCSI devices (Tape, CD-ROM, another
disk) are on scsi0 -- so the DFHS drives are each on their own bus.

They work 100% with tagged queuing enabled. I'm using them with md0
in a raid0.

Jeff