Re: Solaris 2.6 and Linux

Raul Miller (rdm@test.legislate.com)
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 15:54:11 -0400

Jeffrey B. Siegal <jbs@quiotix.com> wrote:
> Still, we're talking about many products that are totally outside the computer
> industry. Consumer products do not generally include license agreements in
> their manuals (they many not include a manual at all). Something strange like
> may generate a huge volume of support calls from confused or curious
> customers, adding to the cost of the product (many of these products are very
> inexpensive, so any additional cost can be a big deal).
>
> In most cases, it makes more sense to just go with commercial software for
> these applications, even if the Free Software is technically superior and, on
> the surface, less expensive. Sad but true.

Huh?

So you're saying that if I sell automated whatzits, with some fsf software
in rom, for something like $99, it'll break my back to offer the source
for the software on floppy for another $99?

Seems to me you could spend an hour making floppies when you cut your
roms and store them in a closet with some envelopes. If you make
a thousand bucks off the floppies, you can probably afford to hire
a temp to come in and make a few more copies for you...

--
Raul