Re: LS120 IDE drive

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Fri, 26 Sep 1997 09:09:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Gadi Oxman wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Graham Barr wrote:
> > hdb: 123822kB, 247644 blocks, 512 sector size
> > hdb: The drive reports both 126222336 and 126793728 bytes as its capacity
>
> A small difference between the LBA (linear) and CHS (cylinder/heads/sector)
> capacities is common. The driver is currently using the smaller capacity
> (although it might be safe to use the LBA capacity unconditionally).
>
> Gadi

Is their any way to force the larger value to be considered correct? For
sake of completeness, their probably should be. It isn't really that
important (558 KB in this case), and I've never had this problem, so I don't
really care, but... In any case, if you had a non-linux partition at the
end of the drive, and their was a file in that last 558k, then attempting to
access that file would lead to "attempt to access beyond end of device"s.

-=- James Mastros

---
"Anybody who thinks that their compiler is smarter than they are
probably disagrees with me."
-=- Linus Torvalds