Re: unannounced p10.gz fixes lockups

Simon Karpen (skarpen@scan.shodor.org)
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 15:55:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 21 Sep 1997, ADAM Sulmicki wrote:

> still I need some good stress program... it is getting harder and harder
> to kill kernel ... and unfortunatelly you can't do 'mak -j Word' w/
> Xfree86-3.3.1 :(
>
> bonnie? what is it ?

Bonnie is a disk and filesystem benchmark. I tend to run either 5 with a
200mb 'size' or 10 with a 100mb 'size'. You can find it in
/pub/Linux/system/benchmark/bonnie.tar.gz on sunsite.unc.edu.

What i've found to be a good stress test:
ping -f localhost
make -j zImage
bonnie * 5
netscape communicator
emacs running gnus

all at the same time. system is slow but still basically usable.
(112MB RAM, Intel P133)

Simon Karpen skarpen@shodor.org
Sysadmin, Shodor Education Foundation

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage