Re: 2.0.31pre9 oopses

Klaus Kudielka (oe1kib@oe1xtu.ampr.org)
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 21:05:48 +0000

Bill Hawes wrote:
> The section of code where your oops occurred hasn't changed from 2.0.30,
> so I suspect something may be wrong with loading modules. Could you try
> building PS/2 mouse support into the kernel instead of as a module, and
> see if that helps?

Oh, I just noticed that the mouse was not attached. The CMOS setting of
the ASUS board was "auto" (there is only "auto" and "disabled"), which
caused the PS/2 mouse port to be automatically disabled. The Oops thus
seems to result from kerneld failing to modprobe psaux (triggered by
starting gpm). A manual "modprobe psaux" just fails, but gives no Oops.

Conclusion: 2.0.30 may behave similarly -- I have not tried it.

If the mouse is attached, everything is fine with pre9. No oops.

Is this behaviour (i.e. give an oops if a module that is requested
cannot be loaded) correct? If not, it should be fixed.

Does anyone feel responsible? ;-)

--
Klaus Kudielka OE1KIB        Peter Jordanstr. 165, A-1180 Wien, AUSTRIA
oe1kib@oe1xtu.ampr.org                  http://oe1xtu.ampr.org/~oe1kib/