Re: /proc/pci design idea

Mr. James W. Laferriere Network Engineer (babydr@nwrain.net)
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 22:45:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hello David, Nice to hear (imo) a reasonable voice in this
discussion. I had forwarded the URL of your (excellent) CM
into this discussion only to seemingly have the info ignored.
:-{

The people who were discussing this present project seem to
be of one track mind. Please ask of them to try your approach
& then continue on with the present approach they are discussing.
I do not seem to have any weight in this discussion.

Tia, JimL

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, David Howells wrote:
> Martin `MJ' Mares wrote:
> > Well, doing this via /proc is much slower. And how do you want to separate
> > byte, word and longword accesses?
>
> I'd have thought that if you want speed, then doing it through any sort of
> system call interface is going to be too slow, be it a purpose made system
> call, or be it a write() on a special /proc file.
>
> By the way... I'm currently adding such support to my Configuration Manager
> and can now read arbitrary ranges of vendor registers from PCI or PnP devices
> through the usual mechanism. I'm also intending to add a facility to do the be
> able to set arbitrary ranges of registers.
>
> Furthermore, I'm looking at making it possible to have the configuration
> 'file' open multiple times, thus meaning someone can open it and keep it open
> for as long as they wish to use it. I'm also thinking of reinstating the old
> ioctl() interface to it.
>
> Watch this space...
>
> David Howells

, JimL
| James W. Laferriere - Network Engineer - babydr@nwrain.net |
| System Techniques - 25416 - 22nd S. - Kent, WA 98032 |
| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux -but- only on AXP |
|-> Linux-Vax Port, Now in Progress !YAY! there's Progress To Report <-|
|-> Please See http://ucnet.canberra.edu.au/~mikal/vaxlinux/home.html <-|
|-> Maintainer: Michael Still mikal@blitzen.canberra.edu.au <-|