Re: /proc/pci design idea

Benny Amorsen (amorsen@sscnet.com)
15 Sep 1997 06:14:53 +0200

SW> amorsen@sscnet.com said:
>> If you have to use a program to read the files, why bother with
>> /proc at all? A kernel call is faster.

SW> Hm... that is true. Only glitch is finding all the pci devices
SW> that exist.

SW> I could SCAN all the numbers (pretty grizzly) or I can change
SW> /proc/pcibus to simply be a file with 16bit numbers (bus/dev/fn)
SW> in it. Is there a better way?

Make a system call that returns an array of 16 bit numbers?

I prefer having /proc as it is, but binary files in /proc join the
disadvantages of /proc (overhead) and kernel calls (the need for
special programs to access the information). So please either make
files human-readable or just get rid of them altogether.

Benny