Re: NFS Server suspected!

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 17:40:06 -0400

Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> Some gathered information on my ongoing NFS problems.
> [... many tests]
> Conclusions:
>
> By elimination, I would conclude that something is broken in the
> 2.1.55 kernel-based NFS server.
>
> For the umpteenth time:
>
> This stuff is 100% repeatable. If there are any debugging hooks you would
> like me to put in, or any patches to try, please say the word!

Hi Steven,

After studying the code of the nfs server a while back I posted messages
expressing doubts that the dentry-as-filehandle could possibly work, and
the symptoms you've found (stale filehandles, random failures, possible
trashing of files) are what I would expect.

I have some ideas for fixing this, but in the shorter term would rather
focus on getting nfs client working reliably.

What is your assessment of the current state of nfs client under 2.1.xx?

Regards,
Bill