Re: which AMD chips are bad - if anyone cares <g>

Benoit Poulot-Cazajous (poulot@chorus.fr)
13 Sep 1997 03:08:12 +0200

alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:

> > CPUID 0x80000001
> > Stepping ID : 2
> > Model : 102
> > Generation/Family : 6
>
> Aha - does the magic K6 cpuid 0x80000001 change its model info between
> the various B step K6's with/without bug ?

The above chip is a B9734. I have received the CPUID results from a B9731, and
it still reports "Stepping ID : 1". And it does not have the bug...

So I ask myself a few questions :
1) If fixing "the" bug does not justify a Stepping ID change, then why did they
change it between B9731 and B9734 ? Have they introduced some marvelous
feature or fixed another annoying bug ?
2) Should we consider post-B9730 K6 beta version of the Stepping ID 2 ?

Juhani Rautiainen and I have tested the 2^32 CPUIDs and found no
difference between a B9720 and B9730, even if only the first one has "the" bug

I have also tried to discover undocumented MSRs (with the 4P package) and
found nothing.

-- Benoit