Re: Final pre-2.0.31.. Expect this to be same as real 2.0.31

Richard B. Johnson (root@analogic.com)
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 13:50:27 -0400 (EDT)

On 9 Sep 1997, SL Baur wrote:

> On boot, I get an `L' then an infinite number of `01's printed. I
> have tried adding `linear' to /etc/lilo.conf. It didn't work.

This shows that the problem is not the kernel (it hasn't loaded yet),
but a problem with LILO trying to load disk data from somehere other
than where it exists on the media.

Make a boot floppy, using your new kernel like this:

Snip --------
#
cp /vmlinux /vmlinux.old
cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /vmlinux
ROOTDEV=`df / | cut -d ' ' -f1 | sed -e1d`
echo -n 'Setting root device as ' ; echo ${ROOTDEV}
rdev -R /vmlinux 1
rdev /vmlinux ${ROOTDEV}
cp /vmlinux /dev/fd0
psupdate

Snip ---------

Boot on the floppy. If it runs okay, the kernel is okay. Now
look in /etc/lilo.conf and verify that it points to the correct
copy of the kernel. i.e. :

boot=/dev/sda # Device containing boot-loader
map=/boot/map # How to find '/vmlinux'
install=/boot/boot.b # Where boot image is kept
prompt
timeout=50
image=/vmlinux # Where the image is now
label=linux
root=/dev/sdb1 # Device to use for '/'
read-only # First mount

Then re-run LILO. Do not overwrite /vmlinux without re-running LILO.

Cheers,
DJ
Richard B. Johnson
Analogic Corporation
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.54 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).
Warning : It's hard to stay on the trailing edge of technology.
Linux : Engineering tool
Windows : Children's computer interface written in BASIC.