Re: patch for 2.1.54 fs/inode.c -- please test!

Stephane Casset (sept@renass3.u-strasbg.fr)
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 12:40:39 +0000 (GMT)

On 9 Sep 1997, Michael Harnois wrote:

> The improvement -- both in the perceived speed of the machine and in
> what "free" tells me -- is definitely there. I don't know if this is
> perfect yet or not. I'm on a P166 with 32MB, running X, with XEmacs
> running Gnus, and this is how is looks right now:
>
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 30740 29072 1668 18008 2064 10252
> -/+ buffers/cache: 16756 13984
> Swap: 34268 5472 28796
>
> Just before I rebooted to load the new kernel, about 24000 of the swap
> file was in use.

I second that, with plain 2.1.54 a updatedb killed the machine , switch
between virtual console ok, but iteractive performance very very low less
than 1 char/10min :( (the magic button was the only way out)
With the patch applied, a updatedb runs fine, exept for the message "got
one" :) (easy fix ! ;) )
I think this is it ! Well I'll see tomorrow...

Keep Hacking ;)

Stephane