Re: CONFIG_SMP patch available for 2.1.54

Michael Elizabeth Chastain (mec@shout.net)
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 00:38:58 -0500

Alan Cox writes:

> What drivers. There is no reason for the problem you are seeing being a
> CPU specific bug - its most likely a driver flaw. What drivers do you
> use and does 2.0.x SMP work for your box

I'll build some more kernels tonight and file a bug report with specific
details in a few hours.

> The difference on intel for non SMP with things like FPU heavy tasks can
> be over 100% gain. Its worth having SMP seperate.

Ok, I accept this. I won't pursue this line any further.

I'd like to get back to the original point of my CONFIG_SMP patch,
which removes the SMP and SMP_PROF definition lines from the top-level
Makefile and converts them into ordinary configuration options.
Note that this does not affect generated code for either the non-SMP
or the SMP case, and is unrelated to the discussion we've had about
having SMP-specific code in the header files.

I'd appreciate it if some more people would look at:

ftp://ftp.shout.net/pub/users/mec/patch/config-smp.2154

and tell me: (1) if you think *this patch* is a good idea, and
(2) if it works on your system.

Michael Chastain
<mailto:mec@shout.net>
"love without fear"