Re: 2.0.29 and maximum number of user.

Tall cool one (ice@mama.indstate.edu)
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 11:03:09 -0500

hm@seneca.muc.de (Harald Milz) writes:

> > PentiumPro 200
> > 256MB Ram
> > 2x2940UW Adaptec SCSI Host adapter
> > 8xST34371W Barrarcuda Harddisk for user's home directory (md raid0)
> ^^^^^^^^
> I for one wouldn't recommend this. A single disk failing renders the entire
> filesystem on it unusable.

Which makes raid0 just like a single drive that fails, except that you can
use several cheaper drives to get more bandwidth than any single expensive
drive, and often at less cost (certainly at less cost / MB).

You do have tape backups don't you? No one should even rely on a raid5
surviving. Plan on it failing and you won't ever get bit no matter what you
use.

Would that we could all afford raid5 too.

- Steve

| Steve Baker | Barely Working | # ## # # # # #
| ice@mama.indstate.edu | System Administrator | # # # # # # # #
| Red-Hat Rulz! | Will work for hardware | # # # ## # # # #
`-- SYS-ADMIN FOR HIRE, HAVE UNIX, WILL TRAVEL --' #### # # # ## # #