Re: Memory leak in 2.1.54

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Tue, 09 Sep 1997 11:49:18 -0400

Zlatko Calusic wrote:
> Now I'll try to convince you, once more, that we deal here with
> massive memory leak, too. Of course, I can be wrong, but something
> smells very bad in dcache code. :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that there _aren't_ memory leaks; I'm sure
there are many waiting to be found. But in the case of 2.1.54, the
dcache and inode memory can grow excessively and give the symptoms of a
leak.

The ls -alR command is a good test case, as it floods the system with
many new dentries and inodes, so it takes a while for the age-sorted
reclamation to take place. I'm doing some experimentation with it now.

The patch I posted should help a lot, though it's not perfect yet.

Regards,
Bill