Re: Console mapping problems? [I hear about these - I wanna know!]

Teunis Peters (teunis@usa.net)
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 13:34:03 -0600 (MDT)

On 8 Sep 1997, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Followup to: <Pine.LNX.3.96.970906175748.872A-100000@sigil.computersupportcentre.com>
> By author: Teunis Peters <teunis@usa.net>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > Can anyone describe WHAT is the problem with UTF-8 conversions in the
> > console code? (AFAIK it's in consolemap.c - but what's happening?)
> >

> I don't think there are any problems here; the problem is that the
> current mapping of 8-bit character sets to Unicode (which is
> subsequently mapped to fonts) is Latin-1-centric.

It helps that latin-1 is the default map - can you give any more info?

> > - Fixing unicode probs (if any left?) in console-maps
>
> Most console maps don't *have* Unicode maps attached; that is a major
> problem, but not a kernel one.

Eventually fixable, yes?

please - this project fits together with a couple of other (unicode and
console-related) patches I'm working on... hopefully...

Ciao!
- Teunis