Re: DES algorithm available in public domain?

Teunis Peters (teunis@usa.net)
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 17:23:51 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Biswajit Sain wrote:

> Doe anyone know if the DES algorithm (or its implementation) is
> available in public domain, and if so, where?

http://www.ifi.uio.no/pgp/ apparently.

This is a legally (for US export laws which are quite strict about this
kind of thing) exported form of PGP from north america (it's been checked
to make sure that no US government back doors crept into the code).

(it seems that some part of DES is patented in USA (and Canada - where I
am) so it's probably not public domain).

Of course, there's other places to get DES info [but I don't know where].

Good luck and g'day, eh?
- Teunis

Though has IDEA and DES been updated for 2.1 kernels? I've been using the
same loopback code for DES since 1.3.?? (and does anyone know where to
find IDEA loopback drivers?)