Re: Modular sound driver

Hannu Savolainen (hannu@4front-tech.com)
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 19:42:27 +0300 (EET DST)

On 26 Aug 1997, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:
> > Hannu:
> > > Unfortunately I don't have any way to include these patches to OSS/Free.
> >
> > Funny.. not that long ago you were saying you'd modularise OSS/Free
> > if it wasn't for the time issues - so whats the problem ? If its licensing
> > to release OSS/Free on other platforms (FreeBSD ?) please drop me a mail
> >
> If I may second-guess Hannu here -- there's a commercial version of OSS.
> Presumably the free version is autogenerated-or-whatever from the
> commercial version.
Yes it is.

> Equally presumably, separately maintaining two
> versions is not an option for him.
Correct. Maintaining OSS and OSS/Free separately has not been an option.
One of the main reasons is that fundamental parts of the driver have been
rewritten during past year. I simply have not had time to do the same work
twice. However it would be possible to do the split now when the biggest
changes are complete.

Best regards,

Hannu
-----