[OFFTOPIC] Re: AMD K6 and unresolved symbols..

Juhani Rautiainen (jrauti@sasu1.carelian.fi)
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 07:47:35 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Jeff Wiegley wrote:

> OH OH OH OH OH!! Mr. Kotter!!!!.....
>
> *You*, my friend, have a system which we could *really* use a test on!!
>
> (that is if somebody else can fix your unresolved symbols problem,
> sorry).
>
> anyways. The AMD K6 has a serious problem when installed in machines
> which
> have more than 32Meg such as yours.

I've tested this with 64 MB of ram and mine works fine (114 loops
-no errors). But there is a catch. Mine requires extra fan blowing
from the front of the case over voltage regulators. Without covers at 200
MHz it failed after 37 loops (airflow gets disturbed) but with covers on
it run 7 h without a error. MB is Asus P55T2P4 v 3.10 with 3.2V jumpers.
OC'd to 233 i got through 8 loops. So there seems to be a pattern here.
I think that with K6's enermous power consumption compared (was there
three million more transistors to keep alive) to pentium and
power consumption of 64 MB's to 32 MB is root cause of the problems.
But then again what the heck I know?

Still happy K6 owner,

--
Juhani Rautiainen		jrauti@iki.fi