Re: glibc 2, and Linux 2.x

Mark Habersack (grendel@hoth.amu.edu.pl)
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 14:19:05 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Alan Cox wrote:

> > simply unnaceptable. I personally don't care at all about macs, but there are
> > people over here that dream about liberating themselves from the power of
> > MacOS. Well, utopia imho...
>
> Well my MacII has been running Linux 2.0.29 for 32 days no without a crash ;)
Geez! More than a month!! That's something! The macs they have here on the Uni
were crashing after at most 5 days.

> We don't have floppy or keyboard support and the SCSI performance sucks but
> we'll get there apple or not.
I was wondering whether it makes sense at all... Many people I know are
trashing macs for the sake of PCs. With the incoming Intel/AMD/HP CISC/RISC
CPU macs are very likely to go down faster than anyone can reveal today. Just
imagine, the P9 will have the ability to run in x86 compat mode while opening
the way for the home PCs to go to the RISC world!! And since AMD is
participating in the project, I'm sure nothing's gonna be spoiled, like Intel
used to do ;-))

> After all Sun were no more helpful to Dave Miller ;) But no right now I
Yah, these huge companies act strange - like they don't care for new
markets...

> wouldnt buy an apple box because you never know what info you might one day
> wish you had..
Exactly. And besides Macs are getting more and more expensive in comparation
to the same possiblilities offered by the PC platform.