Re: buffer cache patches - anybody willing to summarize?

Pete Harlan (harlan@mymenus.com)
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 20:07:10 -0500 (CDT)

Jeff Wiegley <wiegley@usc.edu> writes:

> But, since the main purpose of 2.1.X -> 2.2/3.0 is the inclusion of
> proper and complete SMP support, I don't think that any SMP patches
> should be considered for the 2.0 tree. Only if they fix a gross security

All SMP _bugfixes_ should go into 2.0. 2.2 improves SMP performance,
not reliability.

> SMP in 2.0 is ALPHA code, use at your own risk. If you really

It was alpha a year ago. SMP was one of the flagship claims of 2.0.
SMP and multi-platform support were chief reasons for numbering it 2.0
instead of 1.4.

Cheers,

--
Pete Harlan